Missing Cylinder

General Phoenix Fives Stuff & Car related chat

Missing Cylinder

Postby Mikew » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 pm

We have a problem that we thought had been resolved, but hasn't.

The engine is a MK1 1.8 1995.
It's in a Westfield, but, although the loom has been chopped about, the ignition side is as standard.

The problem we have is that number 3 cylinder is not firing.
There is a spark at the correct time, the HT leads are new and the compression test I did when the engine was in the MX5 was good, and the engine hasn't been stripped and rebuilt.

The injectors were sent off of to Blink Motorsport to be cleaned and no problems were reported.

The one thing that I can see that looks a bit odd is that the coil packs are four pin but the connectors that go into the coil packs have three wires coming out of them.
If I fit an injector loom that has four wires on the plugs that fit the loom does anyone think that this will cure the problem.
The fact that there is a spark makes me think that this may not cure it, but right now I can't think of anything else.

To make this a bit more hit and miss, the original MX5 was an MOT write off, so was never driven on the road so we don't know if it was running on four cylinders when we bought it.

Can anyone throw a bit of light on this please.

Mike & Jane
Mikew
Made a start

Re: Missing Cylinder

Postby Vic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi

In my humble opinion .....................
If you have a strong spark at the right time and the compression is good the only thing missing is the petrol.
I would pull the offending injector from its housing and leaving it wired up, place in an empty glass transparent container,
get someone to crank it over on the starter and see if it sprays the fluid out. Try swapping the injector with one of the others as well.
MeatLoaf is for Lunch Not for Listening to.......
Mein fahrzeug ist zum himmel gegangen Es lebe mein z.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you send the wall across the field once you've hit it.
Vic
Goldmember

Return to General