Going uphill fast. Hillclimbing rules and regs.

General Phoenix Fives Stuff & Car related chat

Re: Going uphill fast. Hillclimbing rules and regs.

Postby NickD » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 pm

I think you will find it the ones trying to overtake that are the problem.

Horses for courses, the feeling of sitting on the grid waiting for the lights is not a feeling I get from any other sort of driving.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Looks like my new MX5 may make it up the hill at some point in 2014. Even though its standard and my green car is quite modified, it would make it into the MX5 category where my green car would be in "modified" ... making my black cheap 1.8 daily more competitive than my green car!!

The other option is to swap the Mk2 1.8 block in my green car for a Mk1 1.8 ...

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Mozza » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 pm

8) :thumb:
1994 1.8 Mk1 Auto ( Brilliant Black)
1995 1.8 Mk1 Merlot (Merlot Pearl Metallic)
1999 1.8is Mk2 Sport (Twilight Blue)
and a
2005 1.8 Mk2.5 Sport MP62 Supercharged in (Strato Blue). 私の車はあなたの車より速いかもしれません!
Mozza
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Mozza wrote:8) :thumb:

Cheers, I'll be picking your brains a lot over the next few months ... it'll be done on the very, very cheap and I don't expect to do many races but thought I ought to have a go!!

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Fred Gassit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 pm

I am trying to convince a work colleague to give sprints/hillclimbs a go as a double drive with his teenage son.
But what car should they buy?

Needs to be in Road-Going Series Production, driven to events, but be fast enough to get the juices flowing e.g. up Shelsley.
Tin top preferred as it offers a bit more protection than a convertible.
Budget is around 1500 quid.
Suggestions please?
30AE - Golden Shred 2 - The Sequel
Black S-Special Roadster 1.8 - Scrapped...
Fred Gassit
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby Mozza » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:08 pm

and a
Mozza

Postby NickD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 am

Remember we have our Sprit at Blyton on the 17th May. It is suitable for any car that you would use on a track day.
We have 2 practice runs and then 4 timed runs
If we have time left, which we normally do, we run more.
We have three prizes.
The fastest over all lap.
The fastest average over the 4 runs. Hitting a cone basically destroys your chances of winning this no matter how fast the car.
And the most consistent. So how close ate your 4 runs. Typically, even through the fastest car may be 15 seconds a lap faster, this is won by a "normal" car getting all 4 laps within half a second.
It's good fun, no stress, no classes, no beam breakers and you get the morning as an open pitlane track day to practice.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Fred Gassit » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 am

Oh, that's cheap for a Type-R!
But doesn't Cat D mean bad news for insurance? And it's in Yorkshire - Andy's in Bromsgrove...
Good shout though.
Fred Gassit

Postby NickD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:27 pm

You can put a CatB back on the road if repaired properly.

Do you seriously think £1,800 is cheap for a 12 year old 100,000 mile car?
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Fred Gassit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 am

NickD wrote: Do you seriously think £1,800 is cheap for a 12 year old 100,000 mile car?

Ha-ha. Have you been drinking Nick?
Check out the pistonheads classifieds for EP3 Typr-Rs and answer your own question! :mrgreen:
£1800 for 197bhp seems like a good deal, apart from the "service history lost" and Cat D...
Fred Gassit

Postby Cerberus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 am

They do seem to be holding their value really well. In the current market £1800 for an EP-3 R is cheap. But it reflects it's previous history. A 'clean' one could easily set you back £2500.

I'm not saying an EP-3 R is 'worth' £2500. But that's what the current market seem to be willing to pay.
http://www.Eunos-Roadster.co.uk - The Blog
何もそれ以上ではありません、ハロー・キティよりJDM!
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby NickD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Do you think they actually sell for that though? When you can get 2l Clio's for less than a grand.

Cat D means the insurance company has paid out as a write off, therefore, no matter how well it has been repaired, and you have to make your own call and inspection on that, the insurance company would never value it as a none written off one again, so if this were involved in another claim it would be valued at significantly lower than "normal". I would expect that insurance companies would assign not a lot more than £500 or £600 trade value to that as a cat D.

That said, properly repaired cars are significant bargains at Cat D. Cars get written off at about 1/3 trade value so even if the £2.5K, was realistic then trade I would expect to only have a £1,500 value. So £400 to £500 of damage, which is not much more than a parking dent if you go to a body shop, will see these written off.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Fred Gassit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Oh, a Clio might be worth a look too...
A few early cars from 1500, but cheapest RS197 on PH is 4650. Bit over budget. :(
Fred Gassit

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Just to back up what Nick is saying, I've just had a look on some salvage sites. A cat d type r with minor panel damage only (airbags etc intact) seem to sell for just under £1000. Find some 2nd hand panels and back on the road for £12-1400. Pistonheads is a great place to sell cars but a bad place to buy .... take off 10-25% for real world prices.

Russell
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Fred Gassit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Sorry, no "damaged repairables", but if you can find any type-Rs for sale for c.1500 please share the link. :thumb:
Fred Gassit

Postby Mozza » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:16 pm

and a
Mozza

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Fred Gassit wrote:Sorry, no "damaged repairables", but if you can find any type-Rs for sale for c.1500 please share the link. :thumb:

You won't get them without having to do some work, thats kinda why they are cheap. If you don't want to do any work then something like the clio would be a good bet. A 172 went on nutz for £850 a few weeks back.

Russell
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Fred Gassit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 pm

New Curburgring layout! :shock:
Fred Gassit

Postby Firebucket » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 am

NickD wrote:Do you think they actually sell for that though? When you can get 2l Clio's for less than a grand.

Cat D means the insurance company has paid out as a write off, therefore, no matter how well it has been repaired, and you have to make your own call and inspection on that, the insurance company would never value it as a none written off one again, so if this were involved in another claim it would be valued at significantly lower than "normal". I would expect that insurance companies would assign not a lot more than £500 or £600 trade value to that as a cat D.

I understand what you are saying here and would agree with you if it were not for my own experience. My 5 is a cat C. The damage was cosmetic (ie drivers door and front wing) easily repaired but, none the less, if done by a professional bodyshop would exceed 2/3 of the value of the car and is therefore written off. I paid £350 for the car and spent about £1200 to £1500 including respray, hood, service and MOT etc. I have an independant engineers report on the repairs and condition of the car, also had it inspected at VOSA (which you have to do to put a write off back on the road), and I now have classic car insurance with a certificated, guaranteed valution of £4000 (I applied for £5000 but was assessed by the valuation panel to £4K) :D
Firebucket

Postby NickD » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 am

Firebucket wrote:
NickD wrote:Do you think they actually sell for that though? When you can get 2l Clio's for less than a grand.

I understand what you are saying here and would agree with you if it were not for my own experience. My 5 is a cat C. The damage was cosmetic (ie drivers door and front wing) easily repaired but, none the less, if done by a professional bodyshop would exceed 2/3 of the value of the car and is therefore written off. I paid £350 for the car and spent about £1200 to £1500 including respray, hood, service and MOT etc. I have an independant engineers report on the repairs and condition of the car, also had it inspected at VOSA (which you have to do to put a write off back on the road), and I now have classic car insurance with a certificated, guaranteed valution of £4000 (I applied for £5000 but was assessed by the valuation panel to £4K) :D

You are in a slightly different position though that you are insuring on an agreed value policy. In such instances they are effectively saying the car has a value because of its status as a classic car. So if you were to say it was a Le Mans GT40 and it was wrapped around a tree. The car is not a write off because it can be rebuilt, even if it requires a new body shell etc. and it will still be the Le Mans GT40 and has a value because of that.

Also cars are written off at much lower value. Cat D's are usually because the don't want the cost of hire cars and labour. I have known a MX-5 written off because of a bent track rod end, the part might only be £15, but ar recovery, to storage, storage charge, transport to a garage, an inspection, new part and labour is probably going to see the best part of £500 gone. Add a week of car hire in and it's a lot of money.
Bend your brand new Merc out of the showroom, so that the air bags deploy, you are looking at a new interior. While the parts will be expensive, the labour cost and car hire will be far, far more.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

PreviousNext

Return to General