Who Was To Blame.....?

Whatever non-Five stuff you fancy talking about.

Who was to blame?

Cerberus - 100%
14%
Cerberus/Other Driver - 75%/25%
14%
Cerberus/Other Driver - 50%/50%
29%
Cerberus/Other Driver - 25%/75%
29%
Other Driver - 100%
14%

Total votes : 7

Who Was To Blame.....?

Postby Cerberus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 am

So I'm driving down the road. I see a car 'nosing out' and I slow down to see what she is doing. She stops and there is traffic coming from the other direction.

I assume that she will stay stopped. I had not come to a full stop so I decide to continue on my way.

The dashcam footage.......

Who would you say was to blame.....................?

100% my fault?
Shared blame?
100% the other driver?
http://www.Eunos-Roadster.co.uk - The Blog
何もそれ以上ではありません、ハロー・キティよりJDM!
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Re: Who Was To Blame.....?

Postby Firebucket » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:28 am

I have ticked the 4th option for two reasons, but mainly becuase I would like to see who you are going to blame for the other 5% :lol: :lol:

My personal view is that the other driver is 100% to blame for emerging into the right of way of oncoming traffic without due care and attention. However, I know someone else that this happened to resulting in a collision and the insurance settled it 50% 50% because "she" was emerging into his right of way, but he had failed to read the road and take appropriate action to avoid an avoidable collision (ie stop).

So who knows what the outcome would be... it seems to be potluck!
Firebucket
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby Cerberus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 am

Firebucket wrote:I have ticked the 4th option for two reasons, but mainly becuase I would like to see who you are going to blame for the other 5% :lol: :lol:

Oh balls... typo! lol

I will edit that :)

Agree with you. More and more I hear from those unfortunate to be in a 'ding' that it went 50/50. Almost seems like insurance companies use it as an easy way out sometimes.
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby Firebucket » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:48 am

Perhaps there is a perverse incentive. If both drivers are to balme, both loose NCB and so both companies generate more income at the next renewal. Couple this with a quick and easy settlement with low admin costs and the insurance companies are on to a winner provided the claims are small. :?:
Firebucket
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby Mozza » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:12 am

I tend to drive as a motorcyclist should ride, that is presume all other motorists are blind and that they haven't seen you and have looked straight through you.
If you were to go ahead on a motorbike as per the video, then regardless who is to blame the motorcyclist will always come off worst.

One other trick I've learnt from bike riding is the first thing that you can see moving on a vehicle is the wheels.
Keep your eye on them, not the driver.
1994 1.8 Mk1 Auto ( Brilliant Black)
1995 1.8 Mk1 Merlot (Merlot Pearl Metallic)
1999 1.8is Mk2 Sport (Twilight Blue)
and a
2005 1.8 Mk2.5 Sport MP62 Supercharged in (Strato Blue). 私の車はあなたの車より速いかもしれません!
Mozza
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby greg#2 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:39 am

Mozza wrote:One other trick I've learnt from bike riding is the first thing that you can see moving on a vehicle is the wheels.
Keep your eye on them, not the driver.

This, i look at wheel spokes, you can see if they move an inch...

I'd say you did pretty much the 'right' thing in that circumstance, if you were ready to stop dead every time a car appeared at a sidestreet/driveway then you'd never get anywhere. the driver was obviously judging the speed of the big white volvo and decided that they could nip out before it got there while giving a cursory glance to the right and seeing a fast approaching cerbs...

if there had been an accident, then IMO they would be in the wrong.
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2

Postby stuartb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:29 pm

If you had a collision, then it would be her 'fault' IMO.

The best things to do (again IMO) would be:
- adopt a strong defensive position, e.g. go towards the centre of the road to be more visible (if safe to do so)
- blast your horn

Worst things to do:
- ignore it
- flash lights
- come to a complete halt.

BTW, you'd have scored 0 points on the theory test for that. I'd have done the same. New drivers are being taught to anticipate problems, but wait until they develop before reacting; something that I don't agree with.

I should probably get myself a helmet cam. You'd be staggered at how clueless many of brum's drivers are, including (supposedly) experienced police drivers.
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Cerberus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Helmet cams and dash cams are an absolute must I think.

BV and I commented at the weekend how you could tell when we had arrived back in Birmingham because the standard of driving took a massive nose dive!

Don't forget to vote in the poll guys!
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby NickD » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Is there really blame?

We bump into people in the street, it happens. This looks to me like two people anticipating what the other is going to do, both hesitating and both, in doing that, both then assuming the other drive had made a different decision. Accidents happen and they are not all one sided.

The correct thing would have been for both to stop because you could not be certain of the others actions. As for pulling out into a right of way, it can be argued that once she is there, then your right of way is blocked. However, more to the point these things happen every time you drive or ride a vehicle, some get a lot closer than others.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby NickD » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:07 pm

I have watched it again a couple of times, I yes, I think you are right, it was you that caused the confusion.
She was waiting, having had to have inched out to view the road. Because you slowed quite a lot, she thought you were letting her pull out and so she started to move. I believe she would have stopped half way across the road to let the other traffic by, bit it was just one of those things when you both reacted together.
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby JimG » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Had a similar incident on the way back from the take away last night. Car coming in the opposite direction stopped ahead indicating to turn right into a side road, there was just about a gap for him to turn without me slowing so I flashed lights twice, he didn't move so I slowed a little. Still didn't move by which time I was braking in case he suddenly went. Then was close enough to see it was a Dutch registered car , and in Holland a flash means b" all. Stopped and waved him across.
J
JimG
Faster pedal engaged

Postby Vic » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Lots of things here.
Speed.
Line of sight.
Time of day.
Colour of cars.
Constitution of driver.
Daylight headlight running.

As an ex motorcyclist of 40 years experience, defo would be the car drivers fault, it always was and always will be.
However it would have gone 50/50 via the insurance. Bit crap as the motorcyclist may have lost a leg or ended up in intensive care on a life support system. With the car driver having to spend several hours at home waiting on the insurance company to pick up their beloved car to be mended.
Everyone of us has a duty of care towards our fellow man no matter how stupid you believe that person to be acting.
Several small flicks of the wrist with your thumb and forefinger touching out of the window is usually all it takes to remind them of their poor decision making.
I vote in favour of the plaintiff but it might be a wee bit biased ...... :|
MeatLoaf is for Lunch Not for Listening to.......
Mein fahrzeug ist zum himmel gegangen Es lebe mein z.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you send the wall across the field once you've hit it.
Vic
Goldmember

Postby stuartb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Vic wrote:Several small flicks of the wrist with your thumb and forefinger touching out of the window is usually all it takes to remind them of their poor decision making.

So far, I've only got angry enough to gesticulate with my right-hand once.

Had the usual pulling-out-from-a-side-street thing this evening. People need to learn to judge distance and speed. 40mph ~= 4 1/2 car lengths per second. Typical 0-40 time while turning into a road is probably 8-10 second. If you see a car at 40 car lengths away, you don't have time...
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Cerberus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:40 am

Interestingly everyone seems to think pretty much the same as me on this one. Nick summed my thoughts up the closest I think.

"Because you slowed quite a lot, she thought you were letting her pull out and so she started to move. I believe she would have stopped half way across the road to let the other traffic by, bit it was just one of those things when you both reacted together."

I put it up just because I thought it was quite interesting. I don't mind admitting to the odd mistake now and then ;) In my defence I was only 1 minute into my journey and might not have been quite 'on my game' yet.

No paint was exchanged and I'm sure she had a bit of a sweary moment. If I see her on my morning commute again I shall have to wave and apologise I think. No harm, no foul :thumb:
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby greg#2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 am

Vic wrote:Lots of things here.
Speed.
Line of sight.
Time of day.
Colour of cars.
Constitution of driver.
Daylight headlight running.

As an ex motorcyclist of 40 years experience, defo would be the car drivers fault, it always was and always will be.
However it would have gone 50/50 via the insurance. Bit crap as the motorcyclist may have lost a leg or ended up in intensive care on a life support system. With the car driver having to spend several hours at home waiting on the insurance company to pick up their beloved car to be mended.
Everyone of us has a duty of care towards our fellow man no matter how stupid you believe that person to be acting.
Several small flicks of the wrist with your thumb and forefinger touching out of the window is usually all it takes to remind them of their poor decision making.
I vote in favour of the plaintiff but it might be a wee bit biased ...... :|

Quoted for posterity - vic in 'more than 3 words and a smiley' shocker :mrgreen:
If you know anyone looking for a bit of unqualified teaching work in the west mids, send them to http://www.firstforeducation.co.uk/cover-supervisors-2/
greg#2

Postby Vic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:01 pm

How dare you.

Vic
Goldmember

Postby greg#2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:51 pm

where's the smiley??? :twisted:
greg#2

Postby Vic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:53 pm

:gayfight:

Vic
Goldmember

Return to Chat