New car suggestions

Whatever non-Five stuff you fancy talking about.

Re: New car suggestions

Postby stuartb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:40 pm

theburns1 wrote:
stuartb wrote:
SteBurns wrote:Suzuki Swift Sport

I don't recall ever seeing a Swift driven an a manner that I would class as "swift" or "sporty". Totally misleading name, IMHO.

Do Suzuki actually make any decent cars?

Comments like that make it obvious you know nothing about cars, lol

Feel free to list the top ten "must have" sukuzis if you think I need educating...
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby theburns1 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't need to defend my comment. You know very little about cars end of
theburns1
Faster pedal engaged

Postby stuartb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:35 pm

theburns1 wrote:I don't need to defend my comment. You know very little about cars end of

Whatever.
SV650 Daily
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby NickD » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Vic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Oh look 5 door ....................... :wavey:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/suzuki/swift/verdict
MeatLoaf is for Lunch Not for Listening to.......
Mein fahrzeug ist zum himmel gegangen Es lebe mein z.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you send the wall across the field once you've hit it.
Vic
Goldmember

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:21 am

I was going to post a similar pic to the one Nick did ... really good fun cars, I had one to take round the Ring and was surprised with the liberties you could take with it. I've got a friend who rallies an Ignis as well ... quite successfully as it happens!

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby chris » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:18 am

I did remember the old swift gti which I seem to remember was up against the 205 gti, the swift was a popular choice back then so I would assume it was capable then and you would hope that would continue
1.6 1992 s special brillant black K&N 571 4" larini exhaust,BC racing coilovers, Rs Aizawa nose cone

chris
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby arriety13 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:22 pm

The swifts are great, especially the sport spec.
I'd go for a BMW 1 series though, great RWD chassis, comfortable, refined, all round great car.
arriety13
Addicted to the 5

Postby Curlyteeth » Sun May 17, 2015 1:15 pm

I just sold the wife's Vauxhall Meriva for £2300 it was an 08 plate with 54000miles that we had from new.

I have to say I can't fault it for a run around that was really versatile - The hatch was about a meter square and when you folded the seats the space in the back was amazingly useful (for what is really a very small car). I had doors, tele's, the odd fridge, a Range cooker - even a wide tread triple extension ladder once :shock: (granted - it was sticking out the back a bit) loads of stuff in it over the years!

It seated 5 people comfortably with the seats up.

We had the 1.4 petrol (you can diesels) and the fuel economy was excellent! it was nippy in traffic (not fast!) and would sit all day long on the motorway at 85 - 90 if you wanted (top speed about 115mph).

The most surprizing thing was the winter handling - it was absolutely fantastic in the snow (by far the best car I have driven in the snow and ice - and at my age I've driven a few!) - I don't know why that is? - but it was amazingly hard to get it to slide! (steady driving! - you could obviously make it slide!) (it would coast up inclines in the snow that my company cars wouldn't look at) - in bad weather my Company cars would stay on the drive and I'd take the Meriva! I'm going on a bit about the bad weather handling, but gave a real good feeling when you knew the misses was out in it, or with the kids on board!

Vauxhall Meriva - its just a simple thoroughly good little car :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

in my view

Curlyteeth
Curlyteeth
Addicted to the 5

Postby Curlyteeth » Sun May 17, 2015 1:28 pm

chris wrote:Subaru impreza

My lad bought an old Subaru Impreza "P" Reg for about £1500 and I have to agree it a really good car - he took me out 4 wheel driftin - amazing!! 8)

Curlyteeth
Curlyteeth
Addicted to the 5

Postby stuartb » Sun May 17, 2015 1:37 pm

I borrowed one of the work pool cars last week. It was a 14-plate diesel Astra. Worst car that I've driven in years. No feel whatsoever from the steering. Couldn't see the front corner. B-pillar made blindspot-checking rather tough. Engine was flat and slow to respond. Controls were akward - couldn't work out how to get the aircon to cool the car down, so had the windows open instead. Gearstick had some quirky interlock on reverse, which made 3-point turns a PITA. Would far rather drive a fiesta or golf.
SV650 Daily
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby danwmids » Sun May 17, 2015 2:14 pm

stuartb wrote:I borrowed one of the work pool cars last week. It was a 14-plate diesel Astra. Worst car that I've driven in years. No feel whatsoever from the steering. Couldn't see the front corner. B-pillar made blindspot-checking rather tough. Engine was flat and slow to respond. Controls were akward - couldn't work out how to get the aircon to cool the car down, so had the windows open instead. Gearstick had some quirky interlock on reverse, which made 3-point turns a PITA. Would far rather drive a fiesta or golf.

I think you've just summed up why we all love the mx5 so much. My company car is an octavia vrs diesel. Capable. Fast. But not at all involving to drive as is the case with most modern cars especially with electric power steering. New cars are becoming too complicated. And too remote.
94 1.8 s special
danwmids
Addicted to the 5

Postby arriety13 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:49 pm

Avoid vauxhalls like the plague! The american general motor engines are notoriously poor, they handle badly. Just a generally crappy euro blob.
arriety13
Addicted to the 5

Postby Mozza » Sun May 17, 2015 6:57 pm

I've had no problem with the:
Vauxhall Corsa,
the Astra,
The Omega Elite, two of them only had exhaust manifold gasket fail on the 3.0ltr
The company Cavalier or our own Vectra.

Six Vauxhalls no major problems.
1994 1.8 Mk1 Auto ( Brilliant Black)
1995 1.8 Mk1 Merlot (Merlot Pearl Metallic)
1999 1.8is Mk2 Sport (Twilight Blue)
and a
2005 1.8 Mk2.5 Sport MP62 Supercharged in (Strato Blue). 私の車はあなたの車より速いかもしれません!
Mozza
P5 Old school or i talk too much

Postby arriety13 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Just go german. On the fun side of things, a late 90s BMW 5 series V8 might be a option if fuel economy is not an issue, Lots of great V8 barges out there to be had for a bargain. The initial price offsets the fuel cost considerably.
arriety13
Addicted to the 5

Postby danwmids » Sun May 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Omega was a great car.
..... And German
94 1.8 s special
danwmids
Addicted to the 5

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sun May 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Vauxhall and Renault are two makes that have been removed from the company car list at work. It used to be a free choice within price limits, but they have excluded those companies because of excessive problems and warranty issues.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Ruzz » Mon May 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions , I've been looking at all sorts but nothing struck a cord

Curlyteeth wrote:
chris wrote:Subaru impreza

My lad bought an old Subaru Impreza "P" Reg for about £1500 and I have to agree it a really good car - he took me out 4 wheel driftin - amazing!! 8)

Curlyteeth

I looked at The Impreza estates , the older ones are pretty cheap at the moment but insurance companies want too much to insure them for what they are .

arriety13 wrote:Just go german. On the fun side of things, a late 90s BMW 5 series V8 might be a option if fuel economy is not an issue, Lots of great V8 barges out there to be had for a bargain. The initial price offsets the fuel cost considerably.

Funny you should say that ,my dads got a R reg 740i V8 Bmw that he's looking to sell . Lovely car just not for me .

Mozza wrote:I've had no problem with the:
Vauxhall Corsa,
the Astra,
The Omega Elite, two of them only had exhaust manifold gasket fail on the 3.0ltr
The company Cavalier or our own Vectra.

Six Vauxhalls no major problems.

I had an Astra before i got my 1st mx5 . Not terribly exciting but it did the job with no problems .

Anyway i've decided to stick with the Merc for the moment , i know its not a hatchback but its quite refreshing to be able to drive ( and park ) a car anywhere and not worry about dings dents etc .
The deciding factor for me though was i had to renew my insurance the other day and the cost to renew was £15.

Yes thats right its not a typo ,£15 for a years fully comp insurance, i couldn't believe it at first so made the dude on the phone check it was right but putting it on a multi car policy with my other halves Freelander 2 only cost £15 more than she was paying anyway .

So for now i'll continue with the Merc , if it dies or something better drops into my lap then i'll think about changing.
Blue 1990 1.6 Eunos roadster - ready to be sold if I can just bring myself to advertise it
Green 1994 uk 1.8is - in the process of being modified - build thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8637
Red 1995 1.8 Eunos roadster being slowly dismantled
Ruzz
Addicted to the 5

Previous

Return to Chat