Vindis RC Roadster

The section to chat about scale models MX-5 or otherwise. Including details of P5 R\C Racing\Bashing meetups.

Vindis RC Roadster

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Nice title, shame I don't actually have a car yet... fingers crossed I'll win the ebay auction on saturday night and can put that right! I've already ordered an MX5 shell from Hong Kong, so all that might vary is what ends up being under it! The plan is for it to be an M 06 Pro ... and more than that I don't honestly know!

Questions I have...

What will I actually get in the pile of bits and how complete a car can I make? From what I can see I should be able to make up 3 complete cars apart from the radio gear.

How do I make it faster? Obviously I'll start modding straight away, but what is brushed / brushless, what does the 7T / 12T / 17T bit mean? More importantly is the 21.5T Brushless motor I've been offered too much for my chassis., and should I fit it anyway just to see what happens?

Having uprated the motor, what bits do I need to think about to stop it all shaking to bits?

I had ramps for my old Falcon, will these things jump as well? I'm not worried about scratches etc to them as they are well used already, but don't want to trash them.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Re: Vindis RC Roadster

Postby bobbadillo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 pm

I'd love to join in with this, it's my kind of thing totally.... but I'm building a(nother) new guitar. Maybe when I've finished it!
Into The Shadows - Live at....
27th June 2014 - The Rose Theatre, Rugeley
6th July 2014 - Bands on the Beacon, Walsall
6th September 2014 - The Crescent Theatre, Birmingham
19th September 2014 - Newhampton Arts Centre, Wolverhampton
20th September 2014 - The Regal, Tenbury Wells
26th September 2014 - Aldridge Youth Theatre
3rd & 4th October 2014 - Lichfield Garrick

You can now listen to "Into The Shadows" here -http://www.soundcloud.com/intotheshadows
bobbadillo
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 am

Well if all goes well I'll have several cars that could be used by people... although I need to find some radio gear cheaply!

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby NickD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 am

Vindi (Russell) wrote:Well if all goes well I'll have several cars that could be used by people... although I need to find some radio gear cheaply!

Russell.

If your car is not called Minime it will be an injustice. :lol:
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 am

NickD wrote:
Vindi (Russell) wrote:Well if all goes well I'll have several cars that could be used by people... although I need to find some radio gear cheaply!

Russell.

If your car is not called Minime it will be an injustice. :lol:

I'll see what I can do... :roll: :lol:
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby NickD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am

Which bit of the controller is the expensive bit? Is there any ability to adapt the controllers that come with the RC toys than come from Next and the like at Christmas, I know they don’t have the control functions, but can the transmitters be used or are these 10 a penny anyway?
Mazda on Track. Motorsport for Mazdas
Image MOT Motorsport. Tyre and brakes fitting at club meets and elsewhere.
NickD
Destroyer of Trolls

Postby Cerberus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:23 am

Vindi (Russell) wrote:Questions I have...

What will I actually get in the pile of bits and how complete a car can I make? From what I can see I should be able to make up 3 complete cars apart from the radio gear.

Can't find the auction. Can you pm me link again pls :)

Vindi (Russell) wrote:
How do I make it faster? Obviously I'll start modding straight away, but what is brushed / brushless, what does the 7T / 12T / 17T bit mean? More importantly is the 21.5T Brushless motor I've been offered too much for my chassis., and should I fit it anyway just to see what happens?

When it comes to motors brushless are far superior. They seem to be rated in 'turns'. The stock 540 motor is 27 turns. The brushless motor in my m04 is equivalent to a 9 turn brushed motor. Brushless also give more battery life due to improved efficiency.

Vindi (Russell) wrote:Having uprated the motor, what bits do I need to think about to stop it all shaking to bits?

First step is ball race it. The plastic bearings are ok but metal ball races are a huge improvement.

Vindi (Russell) wrote:I had ramps for my old Falcon, will these things jump as well? I'm not worried about scratches etc to them as they are well used already, but don't want to trash them.

I used to jump my Falcon with no 'exit ramp'. An M chassis definately won't like that. The suspension travel on them is very car like. Not going to make good jumpers I think.
http://www.Eunos-Roadster.co.uk - The Blog
何もそれ以上ではありません、ハロー・キティよりJDM!
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby Cerberus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am

Radio gear......

Stick or Wheel? I'm a stick man myself.

27Mhz or 2.4Ghz? No brainier! 2.4Ghz removes the need for crystals and having to worry about channel clashing.

There are plenty of Wheel radio sets out there. Not so many stick sets.

You will need a 2 channel set for a car. But some come with three channels and that's fine.

I went for this set clicky linky.

£50 for receiver, transmitter and one servo. You then need an ESC (electronic speed controller) this plugs into the throttle servo socket of the receiver and the motor. Which one will depend on the motor.

To run my Falcon on the same transmitter I need another receiver. An Acoms GR24. Available separately for £30.

For radio sets I reccomend a good browse around http://www.ModelSport.co.uk

In fact Model Sport have become my favoured supplier at the moment.
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby Ruzz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 am

Cerberus wrote:
When it comes to motors brushless are far superior. They seem to be rated in 'turns'. The stock 540 motor is 27 turns. The brushless motor in my m04 is equivalent to a 9 turn brushed motor. .

Holy moly , I hope you have got an uprated gear set or a few spares as I have a feeling you may be stripping the odd gear or two !

And I definately won't be racing you !
Blue 1990 1.6 Eunos roadster - ready to be sold if I can just bring myself to advertise it
Green 1994 uk 1.8is - in the process of being modified - build thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8637
Red 1995 1.8 Eunos roadster being slowly dismantled
Ruzz
Addicted to the 5

Postby stuartb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 pm

NickD wrote:Is there any ability to adapt the controllers that come with the RC toys than come from Next and the like at Christmas, I know they don’t have the control functions, but can the transmitters be used or are these 10 a penny anyway?

Those sort tend to be on a narrow set of frequencies, so it's hit or miss whether they'll interfere with each other. Tried using a remote helicopter and a toy jeep on Christmas day - the helicopter controller jammed the jeep's controller.
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 pm

So whats more powerful, more or less turns?
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Cerberus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Ruzz wrote:
Cerberus wrote:
When it comes to motors brushless are far superior. They seem to be rated in 'turns'. The stock 540 motor is 27 turns. The brushless motor in my m04 is equivalent to a 9 turn brushed motor. .

Holy moly , I hope you have got an uprated gear set or a few spares as I have a feeling you may be stripping the odd gear or two !

And I definately won't be racing you !

On balance I will probably be easy to beat as I will be mainly converting tires to smoke and gearsets to shrapnel :twisted:

Vindi (Russell) wrote:So whats more powerful, more or less turns?

I don't fully understand it yet but yes less turns for more powahs! More googling is required :)

Also with brushless motors there are sensorless (which I have) or sensored (which are more expensive). The sensor tells the speed controller exactly where the commutator(?) is in relation to the coils(?).

The upshot is that a sensor-less motor can become trapped, at low rpm, between two coils and rather than spin, oscillate.
I can see mine doing this at very very slow speed pull away. They call it 'cogging'. Apply a bit more throttle and it goes away. It really is only noticeable at very very low speeds so I'm not worried.

I'll start adding some FAQ stickies here soon to share all the new things I'm finding out. :lol:
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Cerbs - pm sent, looks like a lot of kit but we'll see how good it actually is!!

Good idea about putting up some resource material - might be interesting to have some info on each chassis (that will take an MX5 shell), how they differ, pros and cons etc... so far as I can work out that would definitely include Tamiya M-02, M-04 and M-06 (all RWD) as well as the HPi Cup Racer (4WD).
You can also get a Tamiya TT-01 (which is 4WD) and get a chassis conversion kit from 3Racing but thats getting quite involved!!

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

OK, I won the auction! Went for more than I wanted but I know I can sell some of the chassis / bits to bring a bit back in and its a nice start anyway... just need to work out whether I drive over to pick them up or get them posted... Great Billing Village? Thinking I might swing by there on the way back from my brothers tomorrow as I'll be in Leicester which is kind of over that way.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:06 pm

So this is the main bits I've won...

1x Tamiya M03 chassis – FWD with 2 abused Mini bodies
1x Tamiya M03 chassis converted to rear wheel drive and an abused Fiat Abarth body
1x Tamiya M04 chassis – RWD with not bad Alfa GTV Junior body
1x Tamiya M06 PRO – RWD with abused but useful beetle body

Also a bunch of wheels and tyres etc...

What I don't know is what motors, batteries etc there is, and I know I'll need to buy some radio gear so it'll be a few weks at least before I have anything working. I feel a trip over to Cerberus Towers coming on!!!

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby buzz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Russells at it again!!!!!!!
No so faded these days red Mk1 1.8i poverty spec.
buzz
Addicted to the 5

Postby Cerberus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Nice one Russell! That was the right price I think. An M06Pro alone should sell for that.

So.... an M06Pro and the rest is thrown in free :thumb:

I'll keep the kettle on standby :mrgreen:
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Cerberus wrote:Nice one Russell! That was the right price I think. An M06Pro alone should sell for that.

So.... an M06Pro and the rest is thrown in free :thumb:

I'll keep the kettle on standby :mrgreen:

That was kind of my thinking, I'd decided I wanted to win this auction, partly because there is effectively 4 cars there, and also because they are already built, so in theory I should be able to get a couple of them working pretty quickly. My top amount was only just above the end price though!

So I just need to work out how to get to Great Billing... fingers crossed I can do it during the day on Monday as I'm off anyway.

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am

Its snowing again here... quite heavily, so I've just paid for him to post it all out to me... not ideal, but probably more realistic. Just need to find some radio gear, although there is an M 06 Pro with radio gear for sale, maybe I ought to get that then sell the M06 Pro chassis to Cerbs :wink: :lol:

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Had a bit of a chat with Trevor, the guy I won all the bits off... he has recently bought a Kyosho Samdmaster and doesn't need the radio gear, so I'm having it off him... transmitter, receiver, speed controller and the standard motor for £35 (at least I think thats what the bits were called...). Might not be a great setup, but its cheap enough, and it'll get me moving and also add some more bits towards completing a 2nd car! :thumb:

My Ramps have been located as well, and they are indeed in Devon... just need to tempt my parents into coming up for a visit!!

So the next thing I need to do (apart from waiting for it all to arrive) is go over to Cerberus Towers and ask him to identify what the heck I've just bought / where it all goes!!

Russell.
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Next

Return to R\C and Scale Models