Solihull Mazda - RF Launch Event - 17th Feb

Whats going on, where and who is going?

Solihull Mazda - RF Launch Event - 17th Feb

Postby Cerberus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 pm

I have had the following email from the new Mazda dealership in Solihull. never had any correspondence with them at all.

Good afternoon,

I have spoken with a chap on the Membership Admin phone number, who has given me your e-mail addresses.
The reason behind my contacting yourselves, is to inform you and invite you and your members, to the launch of the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF model here at Solihull Mazda on the 17th February.
Our event will be held from 1pm until 7pm, where we will have two of the new RF’s on site. One will be static for the day to allow people to view and become familiar with the car and the roof mechanism. The second car will be conducting accompanied test-drives. We are obviously inviting our own database to the event, but we would like to extend the invitation to the MX5OC as well.
We would love to see your members come along and offer their views and opinions on the new release, and you may even get to swell your membership numbers if there are people here who are not aware of the club and its location.

If it is possible, would you be able to “spread the word” of the event through your mediums, and all will be made most welcome here. We shall be providing light refreshments during the day. Any test-drives requested, will need to have the driving licence present, so unfortunately we cannot conduct a test-drive if there’s no licence present.

Both myself and my Sales Manager, Kevin Wilson, used to work at Leamington Mazda years ago where we first met Paul & Jayne Grogan and would love to see them again. I am aware that they may not be actively involved with the club, but retain membership.

Many thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely

James King, Sales Executive
Telephone: 0121 7450745

Johnsons Cars
Highlands Road
Solihull
West Midlands
B90 4NU

So there you go.....

Nice of them to swell our membership numbers. I'm sure we should be incredibly grateful to them.

If your name is Paul or Jayne Grogan you can rest assured they are looking forward to seeing you!
http://www.Eunos-Roadster.co.uk - The Blog
何もそれ以上ではありません、ハロー・キティよりJDM!
Cerberus
Forum Admin

Re: Solihull Mazda - RF Launch Event - 17th Feb

Postby Fred Gassit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Ooops, I seem to have booked a test drive! :D

I think Paul & Jayne Grogan were among the original founders of the OC?
I remember the names from when I had my first MX5 20+ years ago.
30AE - Golden Shred 2 - The Sequel
Black S-Special Roadster 1.8 - Scrapped...
Fred Gassit
Good lord ! Look at my post count !

Postby Vindi (Russell) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Looks good, plenty of RF events going on it seems. There is a new Mazda dealership opening in Hagley (on the 18th Feb) that are having a launch event on 3rd March

Russell
Vindi (Russell)
Can't stop buying cars!

Postby stuartb » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 pm

I didn't know that we had a Mazda dealer in the area. Google maps shows a VW Dealer in the same place. Anyone know if they were the same franchise that used have a showroom on the Shirley/Hall Green border?
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Mikeyg71 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Johnsons Volkswagen used to be in Shirley between Hall Green Tesco and The old Powergen site on the corner of Stratford Road and Haslucks Green Road. It is now Arbury Seat.
Johnsons redeveloped the old Dave & Busters building down next to Sytner BMW on the Stratford Road. and put Volkswagen in there.
The old Hemmingways night club and bar on the site is now the Johnsons Volvo showroom relocated from the Old Ring Of Bells Garage in Hampton In Arden. The old Fatty Arbuckles american diver is now the Johnsons Mazda showroom All three brands share the same workshop in the main VW building. Good bunch of guys in the Mazda service and parts, used to deal with them when I worked at Sytner next door.
2000 Mk 2
Mikeyg71
More right foot

Postby stuartb » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:18 pm

That's useful to know. Didn't have a good experience with the VW dealership in Shirley, a few years back, when I was looking for a new car. They were the only (and I mean the only one) dealership in the area that wouldn't give me a test drive, and wouldn't haggle on price.

I remember Fatty Arbuckles. Used to be a great place to have a burger before watching a film in the cinema complex. Do you remember the American Exchange diner where Porcelanosa is now?
Mk3.5 Motorway Mile-eater
SV650 Daily
Triumph Bonneville America
stuartb
Tent Hider, sheep burner

Postby Mikeyg71 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 pm

I remember when the Porcelanosa island was just traffic lights and the pub on the the corner was the George and Dragon. It was then knocked down and Calendars was built, Used to drink in there back in the day. Then changed to the Dallas Exchange before they knocked it down.

Not sure if I am right but I think there used to be Mazda Dealership called Carlton Garage in Shirley which is now Renault Solihull.
2000 Mk 2
Mikeyg71
More right foot

Postby Fred Gassit » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 am

So, checked out the "open day" and had a short test drive in a MX5 RF Sport Nav.
My thoughts:
1) It is very small - apparently even smaller than a Mk1. Cabin reflects this.
2) From all angles the RF looks great. A mini Jag F type. From the rear the flared haunches are especially sexy.
3) The roof mechanism is pretty trick, but I guess not that dissimilar to other powered hard tops - lid raises, roof folds, lid lowers again.
4) Apparently the RF mechanism only adds 45kg.
5) Bilstein suspension on the Sport Nav was pretty firm, but has apparently been "re-tuned" for the RF so maybe not as bad as last year's soft top. Not driven them back to back so could be marketing BS.
6) Stock wheels look nice. 205/45R17s all round. The RF Launch Edition gets the BBS wheels that the yanks can spec as an option. No info as to weight saving over the stock wheels.
7) Six speed box is a peach. 2 litre engine isn't very exciting. OK grunt but doesn't want to rev.
8) With the roof up it is pretty cosy. Zero rear three quarter vision though, so beware angled junctions.
9) Top down and it still feels quite enclosed, bit like a Lotus Elise. More a targa than a convertible. (I prefer full drop head, but YMMV.)
10) Sport Nav gets leather seats, which were slippery and lacked any lumbar support adjustment. No good for my bad back. The Launch Edition had Recaro seats which were much nicer, but these only seem to appear on occasional special editions - they aren't on the options list.
11) The steering wheel has a surprisingly thin rim. I thought everything was going "extra fat" these days (e.g. GT86). It has some up and down adjustment, but not reach. Even in its uppermost position it was still almost resting on my legs and I'm only 5'10". I couldn't rotate the wheel past 45 degrees without my knuckles hitting my leg.

Conclusion: Looks great; engine needs another 40 hp and more zing; I need the Recaros; I don't fit with the stock wheel. :(
Fred Gassit

Postby Curlyteeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Sorry I missed this but I was working on my car... good interesting review :thumb: .

Was it a good turnout? many there?

Curlyteeth
Curlyteeth
Addicted to the 5

Postby Fred Gassit » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Update on the BBS wheels (fitted to the RF Launch Edition, plus the US market "club" option) from Keith Tanner of Flyin' Miata:

"In case anyone is interested and in case this information isn't out there.
17" GT wheel: 37.00 lbs with tire (16.8kg)
17" Club BBS wheel: 35.15 lbs with tire (16kg)
Tire Rack lists the Bridgestone S001 at 19 lbs for a 205/45-17, which gives us rough weights of 18 and 16.15 lbs per wheel. (8.2kg, 7.3kg)"

So the BBS wheel doesn't save much un-sprung weight, but crucially it does clear the optional Brembo brake upgrade that the Yanks can spec.
If only for the aesthetics I'd go for big brakes as the stock sliding calipers and 280mm rotors are lost under the 17s IMO.
Fred Gassit

Return to Events / Meets